Insight is as close to a generative miracle in the workplace – a producible panacea – as anything I’ve discovered. By insight, I refer to the manifestation of genius in each of us: the prime synthesis of data and intuition that yields true – often simple – understanding. The Oh, I see! Aha! Eureka! moment. The satori experience. The brilliant flash of awakening when new cognitive comprehension is confirmed by gut validation. This thrilling brilliance of insight resides in each of us! The trick is to access it at will.
Getting To Insight™ has been the core of my practice for over 35-years.* It can be achieved through a predictable path, aided by collaboration. It can be deeply thrilling and extraordinarily satisfying. I will be writing more about insight and the factors that increase its occurrence, but for now, here are the steps for getting to insight:
- Mission-Orient – Associate with your mission.
- Clarify Intention – Identify your worthy goal. It is far easier to enter the state of insight through a worthy – core values-oriented – intention or gateway.
- Gather Data – Surround yourself with data associated with the worthy goal. Be irreverent, creative, energetic, intrusive, and impertinent.
- Steep & Percolate – Immerse yourself in the data, allowing the data to teach you about the goal. Visit. Reside. Study. Contemplate it. Sketch it. Regard it, respect it, talk it up and talk it over. Avoid negative predispositions. Listen with great respect.
- Investigate Illuminations – Persist along the energetic pathways where you sense “the answer” may be found. Illumined pathways feel electrically charged with potential. (Here, you may be compelled to repeat steps #3 and 4.)
- Discover It – Recognize the insight, record it, and articulate it. Be supportive and persistent. So often, insights emerge inarticulately. After achieving comprehension, despite how obvious it seems, record it. At this stage, insights are fleeting.
- Plan & Execute Insightfully – Utilize the insight, protect it, and apply it. Take a victory lap! Enjoy it. Refine your understanding and wisdom.
Today, we need a reset for business and government. Innovation and invention are encouraged by every president and pundit, appropriately. Getting to insight is the stargate for innovating and inventing.
What are your experiences in the state of insight?
[*With gratitude to Joseph Chilton Pearce, Albert Einstein, and so many client and colleague collaborators.]